Via Fillungo - The main street in Lucca historical centre, where you can shop in elegant and fashionable shops, is lined with ancient tower-houses and the residences of Lucca noble families, dating back to the 15th and 16th centuries.
Among them, the most important are Palazzo Cenami, built in the early 16th century by Nicolao Civitali, and Casa Barletti-Baroni, dating back to the 13th century.
In via Fillungo stand the church of San Cristoforo and the basilica of San Frediano, as well.
The church of San Cristoforo was built in the 12th century on the remains of a structure dating back to the previous century. The façade presents a Gothic portal and, like many other monuments in Lucca, is by Guidetto da Como. The central rose-window, instead, dates back to the 14th century. After the restoration it underwent in 1939-1940, the church has become a war memorial.
The building of the basilica of San Frediano began in 1112 and the church was consecrated in 1147. Some archaeological findings have confirmed that the basilica was built in the same place where San Frediano himself, who was then Bishop of Lucca, ordered to build a church in the 6th century.
Particularly interesting is the façade, divided into two very different parts: the lower one is very simple and almost without decorations is in contrast with the upper one, which is richly decorated with a big mosaic in Roman-Byzantine style. The interior is decorated with frescoes. The church houses a font dating back to the 12th century and magnificent high-reliefs by Jacopo della Quercia. In the choir, an organ dating back to the 16th century is to be admired.
Nice independent villa near the beaches of Forte dei Marmi and Viareggio, in Versilia. Sleeps 10, wide park, swimming pool, Internet connection. Massages and beauty treatments upon request.More details